Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book 7, 8 and 9

Right, no blog posts in ages. And I just haven't been doing much reading. But, in the last three weeks, I've finished off 3 books. None of them are really "new" books, but still, spoilers ahead...

Book 7 was Ender's Game.

A solid book, and a classic of sci-fi. I'd wanted to read it, and finally had the opportunity. Young boy is set up to be the hero of all mankind, but he can't know it. A fun read, but one that gave me a bit to think about.

Book 8 was The Golden Compass.

A book about a young girl who has a great destiny ahead of her - but she can't be told what it is. I'd picked this book and Ender's Game up at the same shop in the fantasy/sci-fi section. I didn't realize how closely their themes matched.

Book 9 was Friday.

This is a Heinlein book. I've read a couple from him, and he's generally good. This one was ok, but left me feeling like it wasn't going anywhere. There seemed to be about a dozen half-plots happening, and none of them resolved into anything. Themes about belonging, the nature of humanity, geo-political strive, mega-corporate control, and others all were passed on at least briefly, but then faded into the background.

The main character is described as "all woman" but comes across as more of a walking sex machine, who believes herself to be dowdy and unattractive - yet still manages to have sex with 3 out of every 4 people.

Overall, the book is ok, but just doesn't come out with anything like a resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment