Sunday, March 27, 2011

43 folders?

Been doing some reading around the Getting Things Done mentality. Part of the whole simplify my life stuff I've been reading. I'm not entirely sure I'm really ready for 100% productivity commitment, but I could certainly work on upping my productivity.

One of the concepts I've run across is this thing called 43 folders. Basically, a system for organizing the near future.

You get 43 folders. 1 for each month of the year, and then the other 31 folders represents days of the month. No month has more than 31 days, you see.

So, you take the folder for the month you're in, and load it with the remaining day folders for the month. And the rest of the dates go into the following month (if the current month has less than 31 days in it, the extra day folders just get set aside.

With the folders set up, you now start putting stuff in them. For the day folders, you put in notes on stuff that needs doing on that day. For the month folders that don't have any day folders, you put stuff in there that needs doing on that month.

As you come to a day in the month, you pull the day folder, empty out the contents and get to work getting them done. With the folder emptied, you put it into the next month.

The process seems simple enough. I could probably make it work. But I would rather not have 43 actual, paper folders to handle. There's a certain charm to the lo-tech option, but I'd rather have a program or something similar that I could work with instead. Maybe something online that I could access anywhere I had an internet connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment