Saturday, March 26, 2011

All together?

I have been debating myself over Twitter for a while now. On the one hand, it seems like a reasonably useful way to get a quick note out to the masses. On the other hand, do I really have much to say in short notes to the masses?

I'd have to say, that no, I really don't have much to say to the masses that I can get accomplished in just 140 characters. Besides, I already have a Facebook account, use this blog here, and email. That's three major areas for communicating with others.

Email is my targeted messaging. I know the person I'm sending to, and they have the option of reading it or not, but I know they'll at least be notified that I sent something.

The blog here is my open post to the world at large - even if they don't know I'm here. I do try to post as if I do have readers, though I know I'm clearly not consistent enough, and ultimately, the blog is a vanity device.

Facebook lies between those two extremes. People I know can see what I post there, but not everyone will bother to take a look at what I have to say. It too is a vanity device, making me think that other people really have an interest in what I'm doing in my life. For the most part, I'm sure that's not the case. There's likely to be a couple of people out there who really care, but the rest of them just don't. And that's ok. I like to think that's the way things should be.

After all, you can't have hundreds of really close friends. You'd never have time to spend with all of them.

One of the potential advantages of getting onto Twitter is giving my outgoing messages some additional partitioning. Personal stuff here, professional stuff there. That sort of thing. But, I don't know if I really have enough non-personal stuff to say. And really, the professional me and personal me are a lot closer together than they have been in the past. What I'm doing professionally right now (school) is pretty tied into the personal life I'm living at the moment.

So, for now, I think I can live without Twitter. What I have right now works well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment