Saturday, September 1, 2012

Noticable changes

M asked me whether I noticed any change from when I was heavier to now.  For me "notice" always implies the visible aspects, so I told her that I didn't notice any change.

I know I've gone from 210 down to 180 pounds, and that I've gone from 28 percent down to about 20 percent body fat.  But, from where my head sits, I don't see any real changes.  Both because things change so slowly that the old norm is the new norm, but also because my shape hasn't undergone any sort of radical transition.

I tend to store fat on my belly and my back, with some in the legs, and a bit (but not much) in the arms.  My arms haven't changed much, my legs have started to come around (but they do that whenever I do a squat program), and my belly is still there.  I can't see my back, so I don't know.

Of course, "notice" has other connotations, which aren't just visual, and I did a bit of thinking on the matter afterwards.  There have been some things I notice.  My clothes are loose on me.  I fit into some of the smaller shirts I own.  My legs have some improvement in them above the knee instead of all below the knee.

Of course, day to day, I tend to discount these and don't really notice them.  But when I think about them, I can see that they are there.

I guess I'm getting better, but I'm just not quite seeing it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment