Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Still at it

A friend of mine, Dan, invited me to do some workout thing he's been doing.  It's a personal trainer thing that he's running under the auspices of a company that works primarily online.

I looked at it, but it mostly looks like a shill for their protein shakes and meal replacement things.  Meal replacements never really struck me as great, since I would likely drink one, then go eat breakfast.  Not really covering the points they are supposed to do.

The workouts around it are very similar (in the way they sound anyway), to those found in other mass-market exercise programs like P90X or similar.  They're bodyweight focused, and use a lot of low-impact endurance/cardio to burn energy, and thus bring down weight.

There's weighted stuff with barbells and so forth, but a lot of that is upper body centered.  Arms and chest, with a bit of work on the back.

I've got a couple friends who have or are doing such workouts, and they're happy with them.  They work for what they're supposed to do, but it's not my thing.  I'd rather throw the barbell around than do sets on sets of burpees and tuck jumps.  There's a place for those things in most people's fitness goals, and really, they'd fit into mine somewhere, but they're just not for me right at this moment.

So, I've politely turned him down, but did say that he could provide encouragement to keep me heading into the gym.  And thus far, he has.  Which is really a good sign of the kind of motivator he could be.  Even if the program isn't right for me, he's certainly a lot closer to the kind of trainer I'd want - were I looking for one.

The diet process hasn't been going the way I want, but my weight isn't really changing much.  It bounces around between 185 and 188, but it's been holding relatively steady since the start of the month, so I'm unconcerned about it at the present time.  Trying to retain some limits on what I eat, but I am still not strict with myself yet, so it's not really effective.

The workouts have been consistent, which is good.  A regular schedule is always better for me than an ad-hoc kind of ramble.  I just get more things done and better results overall.

Things are going as expected so far, which makes me happy.  Just gotta keep on with the plan and I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment