Sunday, December 2, 2012

Training

I'm back at the training.  I took November off "to work on NaNo" and then futzed around and did nothing much with the extra time, so I feel pretty stupid for stopping just when things were starting up.

So, I"m back at it.

Hit the gym yesterday and tested maxes on Squats and Bench.  Squats were better than I thought, and Bench is better than expected too.

I'm starting with this set of goals:

Deadlift: 225
Squat: 180
Bench: 135
Overhead Press: 90

All in pounds, 'cause I'm just a weak guy still.  I am planning to increase each goal by 10% or so each time I meet it.  The Bench goal is already up to 155 from just testing maxes.

I hit 135, which notched up the goal by 13.5 (which I rounded down to 145), and then hit that one too, so I notched it up to 155 (rounding down again).  That's the general intent.  I'll round down to the nearest multiple of 5, as that's the lowest amount I have available at the gym to put on the bar.

Tomorrow I'll hit the gym and test Deadlift and OHP maxes.  I'm hoping to break both of the initial goals there, which would be a really good boost to confidence.

On the other side of the fitness coin is my weight.  I'm taking this opportunity to try, more or less, to ignore it.  I'm going to try to put effort and focus into losing fat, which does imply weight loss, but I'm hoping to work hard enough on gaining and retaining muscle that the scale won't show much change.

Right now, the body fat estimate is just under 30%, which to me feels really poor, so I'm set on working to change that number.  I want to cut it in half.  I don't have a good estimate of how long it may take to reach there, so I'm allocating all of 2013 to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment