Tuesday, February 1, 2011

3EUR Experiment

The easy days of day 3 and 4 left me with a balance of 9.19 going into day 5. And, unfortunately, that kinda went to my head. A miscalculation saw me purchase 9.28 worth of groceries.

I hadn't worked out a proper process for overspending. I hadn't expected to. But, I figured that a positive balance carries over, so a negative should do as well. Ultimately, the budget being drawn against is for the entire month (90EUR total), so really, an over-expense comes from that pool of money.

Thus, today, on day 6, I was working with 2.91, instead of 3.00. I managed to make it up though, and spent only 2.86, leaving me with 0.05 carryover for tomorrow.

One of the things I've realized in the short time I've been doing this experiment is that I really don't give enough thought to what I've been spending on food before now. Every time I think about getting a snack or something from the shop, I have to remind myself that it'll count against my food budget. That were I really limited in the total money I have to spend, that I'd be seriously hurting myself later in the month because I wanted something sweet early on.

The other thing I've noticed is that I have to do a lot more meal planning now. I can't simply go to the store and buy everything I might need for a meal on one day. I have to ration it out, and buy things that I can spread over a couple meals, or buy things today so that tomorrow I can buy the rest of the ingredients. Living limited requires me to really consider what I need, and avoid that unnecessary items.

No comments:

Post a Comment