Monday, February 14, 2011

McFit

Totally pleased with this gym. Open 24/7 (have yet to test if that is true or not), and stocked up with all the things a gym-goer needs. There are two locations near me. One in Käfertal, and one in Almenhof. There are some differences between the two locations, but they are almost entirely limited to building layout.

In either gym, there is enough cardio (Ausdauer) equipment to let a good number of members work at the same time. There is a lot of machines. There are at least two of most machines, and sometimes three or more. For those few machines where there is only one, there does not seem to be high demand.

If this was all the gym had, it might be enough to make me go. Weight machines aren't my favourite, but the open hours is helpful. Of course, the real clincher is the gym has a well stocked free weight area. No lifting cages, but enough racks to fill in the gaps for most exercises. The only thing I have missed about the lack of a cage is that there is no good place for a deadlift spot. So far, deadlifts seem to be something that is just done near a rack. No proof of that, though, since I have not seen anyone do any deadlifts.

I am slightly thrown off by the metric weights. While they come in 1.25, 2.5, 5, 10 and 15 (maybe higher values too), they are clearly not the same as pound weights. I was used to adding a pair of 10s to the bar to go up in difficulty, but with kilos, it isn't the same thing. It's much more like throwing 25s on the bar. Much harsher.

So, I have to pay better attention to the weight I grab from the stack.

I have been enjoying the gym so far. Hopefully my day off won't throw the process out of whack.

No comments:

Post a Comment