Monday, April 19, 2010

Guitar

As this is not only fitness but my other diversions as well, I figure it's about time to put something in about me and the guitar. While I'm at it, something about the other instruments I play/want to play too.

Lets start with guitar.

Way back in high school, while I was learning most of the other instruments in the woodwind section, I started to get interested in playing the guitar. My parents had an old acoustic, so I would noodle around with that at bit. Took a few lessons from the school, but nothing serious. Thus started my on again - off again love of the guitar.

About 2 years ago, I managed to pick up a cheap guitar at a sale. I didn't pay much for it, and it's not a fantastic guitar, but it sounds good enough for me, and it works well enough for what I do with it. I named it "Chocolate" and it's been used off and on as the whim strikes me.

At one point, I owned 3 guitars, and had a fourth loaned to me. But, I'm back to just having the one again.

Lately, I've been motivated to learn to really play it this time. To that end, I'm trying to put a little bit of time each day towards noodling around on the guitar. So far it's been unfocused practice. Just hitting chords and trying to remember where the fingers go. A bit of light improv sometimes too, but I haven't been making a serious effort so far. I know that I won't make much gain without structure, but for now, that's fine. Just playing is good enough for me at the moment.

Athalos has been kind enough to follow me along on my madness with the guitar, and he's been getting back to speed on playing as well. I'm hoping we'll both keep at it this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment