Saturday, January 8, 2011

Apartment hunting

Living now in Germany requires that I register a residence. Where I am currently won't allow me to register. So I need an apartment. The prospect of hunting out an apartment is pretty daunting to me, since the Germans have a lot of rules about how things get done.

I searched out a number of cheaper student residences, but a lot of those are WG (Wohngemeinschafft), which means shared accommodations. While I'm sure I could deal with a shared accommodation, I really would rather not have to share with strangers. It would probably be good for communication and social life, but it also carries the penalties of having to deal with other people.

I searched out a couple of places, and went in today to see one. Tiny. Best I could say for it. I'm mentally comparing it to the place I had in Ohio. That too was a temporary living space, and consisted of a single room, with an attached bathroom. I paid about $600 per month for the privilege of living there.

The space I looked at (and will rent) is smaller. The bathroom is small, but serviceable, and the apartment as a whole takes up no more room than the bedroom I have now. Still, I need a location to use as an address for official correspondance, and also for other official business. Plus, an area away from the distractions of family will do me good when it comes to studies.

Given the size of the space, a TV is out of the question. I simply do not have room for such a thing. Assuming I can locate some internet connection, I should be fine for entertainment. If not, I may need to start figuring out ways to entertain myself that don't involve a computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment