Sunday, January 2, 2011

Craft 0 and Craft 1

Crafting is one of the Big, Fun, Scary activities for this year.

Craft 0 is the project I was last working on before the new year. I had hoped to finish it before the first, but that got held up by other things in life. So, when it is finished, it will count as Craft 0. It is a crocheted pair of arm warmers for my oldest daughter. Right now, the craft sits at about 85% completed. I expect that it needs around 3 or 4 more hours of effort before it is done - possibly more since the yarn and needle combination has been more difficult than expected.

Craft 1 is a sewn skirt, being put together by me, for B. The skirt is entirely my design, with inspiration from a lot of places. It's a five-panel skirt, with a waistline piece on top. While I've technically been sewing for more than 20 years, I have to say that I really don't have much experience with it. So, I'm trying to keep things simple. At least as simple as designing a piece of clothing, laying out the design and then sewing it into something wearable can be.

Craft 1 is about 85% complete as well, but needs some heavy modification to make it wearable. While I had done some calculation to make it fit, it seems to have grown somewhat in the making. I do tend to put in a lot of excess when I sew. That's something I'll have to work on. The current need is to put a zipper into it. I had bought a zipper for it when I had originally made it, but it has gone missing. I will need to find a new one, and then sew it in. That means undoing a bunch of work on the skirt, but that's the price I pay for doing things the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment