Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book 2: Maurice, der Kater

Book 2 is the first all German book I've managed to read this year. You may be pointing to Harry Potter as being in all German, and it is, but I started that way back last year. This book was started this year. This month, even.

I think I'm getting a bit faster. And I'm understanding it pretty well, but I am doing a lot of in-place translation still. Gotta work on that. And the only way is simply to read more.

The book was pretty good. Terry Pratchett is a writer I enjoy. I do feel that I lost a bit on the jokes due to translation, but most of them held up. When I think about the book, a lot of it is in English in my head. That's because I translated it as I went. But there are some things which still stick out in German. Which I will take as a good sign.

Overall, the book was good. Even if it wasn't quite as involved with the Discworld I know.

I must also say that I'm quite happy that he didn't go with the tried cliche of the two main characters falling in love with each other. At least, not in the head-over-heels kind of way.

Overall, a good book. Recommended, even in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment