Sunday, January 9, 2011

An idea for a craft

So, I had an idea for a craft today. A rag rug.

I did a bit of research on it, and generally they were made pretty much any way that people wanted, so I feel that my idea is probably sound.

The plan I have is pretty straightforward, but labour intensive. Here's the idea:

1. purchase 3 bolts of scrap fabric. I'm looking for cheap and light. I'm also hoping to find bolts with a minimum length of 1 meter.

2. render all three bolts into half inch strips.

3. sew all the strips from the bolts together to make a single, long strip of fabric. Repeat this for each of the bolts.

4. roll the strips into fabric balls.

5. stitch the ends of the three fabric strips together.

6. braid the three strips into one very long braid.

7. use the braid as if it were a very big piece of string or yarn to crochet a squared mat.

That's the plan. The efforts come from all of the cutting, sewing, braiding and crocheting work. It's basically four small crafts in one. With luck, the result will be something unique and interesting, and hopefully warm on the feet.

If I get a chance, I'll be looking for scrap fabric tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment