Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Rules (as I see them)

Rule 1: Life is big.

Life, on the whole, is massive. Bigger than I am. Bigger than I will ever be. No matter how much I grow or change, or how far I stretch myself, life will always be bigger. Always.

This is not an excuse not to stretch myself. To not try to reach the boundaries of life. It is because life is big that I have the ability to grow, to stretch myself large. To reach beyond where I am now and into new areas of what I may become.

It is this freedom to grow that is the great gift that life provides me.

Rule 2: All things come in cycles.

Look at anything in the world. Anything in life, and see that there are cycles. A beginning, a middle, an end. And after that, a new beginning, starting the process over again. Never the same, never quite identical, but similar. This process has gone on forever. Before I was born, and long after I am gone.

The repeating cycles allow me to predict some of what may come. To learn from the past to improve myself in the future. To use others as an example for my life, and for my life to be used as an example by others.

Rule 3: I am me.

To be honestly and earnestly myself, I must strive to live my life in a real way. I must strive to be whoever and whatever it is I wish to be.

There were other forms of me before this one, and there will be other forms of me after this. Each of them was, is and will be me, in their own time. As different as each me might be, all of them are me, and all of them are true, so long as I have, do, and will live truly.

Rule 4: This shit is not my shit.

I must recognize the boundaries between myself and others. I must live within my own life, and let others live within theirs. I cannot make someone different than they are, only suggest. And in the same way, they can only suggest to me what they would like me to be. I must take what they suggest and consider it. If it is good and of value to me, then I may incorporate it into myself, adapting and changing who I am. If it is of no value, then I must discard it.

The problems another person may have with my life, may not be the problems I have with my life. So long as I live truly and honestly, and so long as my life does not harm others, then I am not bound to what they think is right or wrong. Their shit is not my shit.

Rule 5: Stop fucking around.

Life must be lived. Life is a thing of action, of motion. A life standing still is no life at all. A life adrift is a life that is watched, not one that is experienced. I must exercise a will and engage in action. I cannot be idle and wait for life to come and invite me to join in. It is far too short for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment