Wednesday, August 22, 2012

179 and counting

Morning weigh-in had me at 179.  Been quite a while since I've been under 180.  Feels good.

Am switching over to working out in the evening after work and before eating.  Went yesterday.  Things were very different in the evening than in the morning.  In the morning, there are usually only a few other people.  I got used to not having to worry much about people there.  Lots of space to do my own thing, and never have to worry about the path of my bar smacking someone who thought they could go and load their bar during my set.

The number of people at the gym in the evening is pretty high.  And the Bro population seems to be very high.  Bros generally don't come in the morning - there's nobody to impress with their curls there.

I try very hard not to judge others at the gym.  I don't know them, I don't know their goals or limitations or if they are on a program or just making it up.  There are a couple of things that make it hard for me not to judge.

One of them is strange and pointless usage of the Smith machine.  Like Smith bench when you don't seem to have any issue with motion of your arms and there are benches free.  Or Smith rows, as the required motion of the body to perform them is just not possible with a regular bar or dumbbell.

There's also full-body motion bicep curls.  These always feel to me like the person is just pushing too much weight - though they always seem to have huge arms, so maybe there is something to just working the weight up in whatever fashion gets it done.

When I notice myself thinking these things towards others in the gym, I try to remind myself that I should really be focused on what I'm doing, and not what they are doing.  I'm sure my workout looks like stupidity to everyone else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment